Ontario Regulation 318/319

Sudbury & District Health UnitSmall Drinking Water Systems - Ontario Regulation 318/08 & 319/08
Owners and operators of small drinking water systems need to be aware of the changes coming to how their drinking water will be regulated by the Ontario government. This affects all businesses not on municipal water serving water to the public operating on Manitoulin Island.

O. Reg 252/05 as of December 1, 2008 has been changed to O. Reg. 318/08 (Transitional - Small Drinking Water Systems) and O. Reg. 319/08 (Small Drinking Water Systems). The responsibility shifts to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and is now regulated by the Health Promotion and Protection Act. This means that the Sudbury and District Health Unit is now responsible for this legislation on Manitoulin Island.

Small Drinking Water Systems as defined by the Ministry of Health "If your business makes drinking water available to the public and you do not get your drinking water from a municipal drinking water system, you are an owner or operator of a small drinking water system." This includes summer camps, campgrounds, cottages, motels, churches, community centres, restaurants, seasonal trailer parks, seniors centres, gas stations, golf courses and other public facilities. If you have questions regarding your business and small drinking water system, Call us at 1-877-432-4117 or 705-859-2180.

You will receive a visit from a public health inspector from the Sudbury and District Health Unit to conduct a site-specific risk assessment. From this site assessment, the health inspector will determine your individual requirements for water testing, treatment or other necessary components to ensure operators provide safe drinking water to the public. See the Fact Sheets below for more detail information regarding the changes to the regulations, owner operator responsibilities and keeping your drinking water safe.