Lake Mindemoya Stewardship Association
The Lake Mindemoya Stewardship Association (LMSA) is inviting you to become a member and share in caring for the quality of the lake water and protecting the environment!
Are you a property owner on Lake Mindemoya?
Are you passionate about the lake?
Are you concerned about water quality?
Are you worried about the lake's environment?
Do you own a business on Lake Mindemoya?
Looking to help preserve the “lake experience”?
Clean water doesn't just mean safe drinking and recreational water, but fosters healthy bodies and minds as we pursue recreation on, in, or near Lake Mindemoya. It is of benefit to property owners who draw water from the lake.
It generates revenue for the Municipality of Central Manitoulin and Billings Township, as well as for those renting out cottages or operating resorts ensuring property values are maintained.
What is the Lake Mindemoya Stewardship Association?
It is a group of Lake Mindemoya property owners who are caring for the lake by undertaking water testing of Lake Mindemoya throughout the year with funds provided by the Municipality of Central Manitoulin. The Association was formed in the summer of 2021, and is working in partnership with Central Manitoulin Council as well as Billings Township to protect and look after the water quality of Lake Mindemoya, now and in the future.
Our Mission Statement
To protect and look after the present and future water quality of Lake Mindemoya
by addressing and ensuring that the lake water quality will not be compromised as a
result of any additional pollution or development without necessary approvals or permits.
Our organization is here to care for the health of the lake which benefits everyone whether they are actively involved in our committee or not.
Our Focus Areas
The water quality as well as the “lake experience” for waterfront property owners, local residents and tourists must be preserved. To this end, focus areas for this body will include such issues as:
- Support and encourage the enhanced development of several public beach locations on the lake to ensure that local residents and visiting tourists have an opportunity to enjoy the waters of Lake Mindemoya.
- Promoting educational information on responsible land/water use by both local residents and tourists to minimize the “ecological footprint” that our actions and activities have on Lake Mindemoya.
- Excessive shoreline erosion due to high water levels as well as excessive fluctuations in lake level controls.
- Addressing unauthorized (without permits and approvals) shoreline modifications that encroach on the waterfront easement land that surrounds the lake as per Municipality of Central Manitoulin By-Law 2015-10.
- Increased water testing to confirm that all “high density” and residential developments around the lake are compliant with current Federal, Provincial and Municipal water quality requirements and standards.
- Preservation of current fish populations by increased enforcement of fish quotas, fishing seasons and support of any fish restocking programs.
We are actively working to achieve our focus areas by providing relevant and educational information for property owners with regard to water quality, recommended practices, building and maintaining lakefront property in accordance with present bylaws. In addition, we are also advocating for strengthened bylaws that affect lakeshore development.
If you are interested in becoming involved or finding out more about the Lake Mindemoya Stewardship Association (LMSA), we encourage you to join the Lake Mindemoya Stewardship Association on Facebook to learn more, join our organization and follow our activities.
You can also contact our organization via email at [email protected]